This isn’t a newsflash, but social media is everywhere.
Every day there’s a rush to get something posted and create new content. But, have you given thought as to what you are posting? Do you have a healthy mix of different kinds of posts? Is there a strategy behind the messaging?
First of all, what do we mean by content? Simply put, your content is anything you write or post, either to a social site, a blog or a website. It’s the words, the images, the videos, or anything else that we are sharing with the world.
With that established, what exactly should you be posting? In the simplest of terms, there are three significant categories your content should fall into:
- Posts that are timely,
- Posts that speak to the core of your business,
- Posts that are timeless.
Here is more on each type:
If your posts have a specific time element to them, such as a date or an event, then you are dealing with timely content. This is content with an expiration date. Additionally, there may be posts that are topically relevant at the moment.
Timely content could include:
- Join us this week for our big event!
- Did you miss our big event? Here is a video and a photo gallery to catch you up.
- Today is national “whatever” day. Help us celebrate!
2. Core Messaging
Whatever the organization or industry, there will always be topics that are core to your brand and messages that need to be emphasized on a regular basis. These are the most important things that you want people to know about you and your business.
Typically, these messages will center on the services you provide, and the quality and value of those services, such as:
- This is what we do.
- This is why we do it.
- This is how you can benefit from it.
- Here’s more information you can learn about it.
In contrast to the content that has an expiration date, as listed above, evergreen content can be posted at any time and still be relevant. It may be industry news, examples of previous projects your company has completed, or a series of profiles of your staff. Any content that can be posted at any time and still make sense.
Evergreen content can be strategically repeated due to its timeless nature, as seen in the examples below:
- Here’s a great article about our industry.
- This video will give you more info on a relevant topic.
- Here is a profile of our staff.
- This is a great sample of our work.
It’s All About the Mix
Social media is all about finding the right balance. If you have too much of one thing, you will be missing out on something else. While some weeks may be heavy on one type or another, the goal is to vary the mix on a regular basis.
If you can find the right mix that works for your organization, your channels will be timely and relevant, give a voice to the critical features of your products or organization, and provide a resource for quality content.
To see all three types of content in action, be sure to follow us on social media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidsonbelluso
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidsonbelluso
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/davidson-&-belluso
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/davidsonbelluso